Has the ageing process taken over your luscious locks? Embrace it with these handy hacks
1. With grey hair it is vital that you look after its condition and keep it well hydrated. I would always recommend using a natural hair oil to seal and protect each strand so that it can receive your conditioner well. Hair is not a living fabric, it is more like a dry sponge therefore without moisture it is brittle and cannot move freely. When it has gone grey it changes texture again which makes it even harder to stay moisturised. Using a good natural hair oil can be the missing link.
2. Don't be afraid of wearing and enjoying your grey hair. A good bout of confidence will make you look and feel better about yourself, grey hair or not, so to make the most of your new hue wear it with a smile. I love the colour grey and all of the wonderful variations of white hair and natural hair that makes up each individual grey pattern. I applaud women who enjoy their natural grey hair and think we should celebrate this wonderful colour. In our salon we also add to the natural grey pattern and detail the colour in ways that make it more dynamic, if needed, without changing the hue.
3. Let your grey hair flow in as it grows! I hate to see roots on hair that has been coloured and feel strongly that it is lazy colouring that causes ugly roots and solid regrowth lines. Encourage your hairdresser to look at your natural grey pattern and design a colour that flows as it grows eliminating the ugly regrowth as the natural colour grows back in. The right colourist will guide you through this and it definitely does not mean you have to wear your hair lighter if you don't want to. I would always recommend looking for an organic colourist too, as the condition of the hair when coloured with organic colour is far superior.
4. Don't be afraid of wearing your hair longer if you are wearing it grey. It used to be said that long hair should not be worn by women over 40, but I really think we have moved on from this idea – and with good reason! When hair is in fabulous condition, well groomed and cut well it looks amazing longer. Current trends are that we are all generally wearing hair with longer or no layers and dressing the hair with different textures and movements. Long gone are grey bubble cuts – hello Rapunzel!
5. And finally.... my very best advice for natural grey hair is use a moisturiser for your hair. Apply a good natural leave-in conditioner several times a day and it will behave like a moisturiser. Apply a small amount to dry hair, smoothing the hair as you go. Re-apply as often as you need to refresh the style on-the-go. Our hair is not being fed moisture from our body like our skin is, it relies on what we apply to it and it's important to remember that moisture evaporates. The right conditioner will make a world of difference to how you grey locks look, feel and move.
Exclusive prizes from our Heaven Skincare, Senspa, Green People and more...