Hair loss can be extremely distressing.Dr Deepa Apté, our Indian medicine guru, is here to help
Hair loss can be due to a variety of reasons including excessive intake of tea, coffee, alcohol, fried, spicy or oily food, meats and excessive smoking. It can also be a result of medication, hormonal changes and certain medical conditions. It’s usually a result of excess pitta dosha (fire and water elements) which causes excess heat in the body,resulting in melting of the tissues including the hair, which results in loss. My suggestions for helping prevent hair loss are:
- Avoid excess of spicy, sour and salty foods as they increase heat in the body.
- Cooling foods and drinks like butter milk and cumin water help to get rid of the heat.
- Aloe vera juice taken on a regular basis not only prevents hair loss but also helps to nourish hair follicles.
- Eaten daily, white sesame seeds with yogurt is known to prevent and stop hair loss.
- For further benefits you can also drink lettuce and spinach juice every day.
- Eat steamed foods along with steamed vegetables cooked with plenty of warming spices like turmeric, cumin and coriander.
- Coconut is highly recommended to prevent hair loss. This can be in the form of coconut water, coconut milk, or simply grated coconut added to food.
- Take chyawanprash mixed in warm milk regularly.
- Saffron in warm milk along with cardamom and cinnamon is cooling and nourishing.
- Brahmi taken three times a day helps to reduce stress and heat and therefore prevents hair loss.
- Neem is also a very good herb to reduce heat in the body, acting as a blood cleanser and therefore preventing hair loss.
Massages And External Application:
- Have regular head massages with brahmi-amla oil. Brahmi has very good antioxidant properties which gives proper nourishment to hair roots and promotes growth. It also can prevent splitting of hair. Amla is very high in vitamin C and not only stops hair fall but also helps to prevent it graying.
- Apply honey and egg yolk to affected areas of the scalp for an hour then wash it off.
- Another effective paste is a combination of powdered liquorice and whole milk applied to affected patches on the scalp. Avoid using hair care products that contain harmful chemicals like SLS or parabens as they tend to increase heat in the body leading to further hair loss.
- Ayurveda also stresses upon avoiding excess hot water to wash hair. Water should be comfortably warm.
Yoga And Meditation:
- Practise cooling breathing exercises like shitali and shitkari along with alternate nostril breathing.
- Do a couple of rounds of moon salutations daily.
- Refreshing exercises like half spinal twist, half moon pose, cobra pose and fish pose are effective.