Not only did Frida Harju, in-house nutritionist at health and fitness app Lifesum (lifesum.com), share the top five health benefits of pumpkins with us, but she also gave us this delicious soup recipe so that we can feel the effects of the fruit ourselves. Fragnant and spicy, we can’t to have a bowl for lunch.
- 1 pumpkin
- 3 carrots
- 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
- 240ml vegetable broth or stock
- 240ml water
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch bell pepper powder
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch fresh grated ginger
- 240ml light cream for cooking
- 1 pinch salt
- Chop the onion and garlic and fry in a saucepan with coconut or olive oil.
- Peel and chop the pumpkin and carrots and add to the pan.
- Add all of the spices, water and broth and let it boil for about 20 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Take the pan off the heat and, using a hand blender or masher, turn the vegetables into a soup-like consistency (depending how chunky you want it).
- Put it back on the heat and add the cream then let it simmer until it reaches a good temperature.
- Season with a pinch of salt and serve with rye bread topped with cream cheese.