Why you should be stocking up on plenty of Q10
Did you know that there is a vitamin-like substance that is responsible for 95 percent of our daily energy output and without it we could not live? And yet our body’s ability to produce it begins to decrease as early as our mid-twenties. Q10 is involved in the energy turnover of all cells in the body, making it possible for us to move, breathe and think. But how much do you know about this essential enzyme and does your body have enough of it?
Why is Q10 important?
Q10 is a naturally-occurring compound found in every cell of the body. It is used to produce energy for cell growth and maintenance, as well as acting as an antioxidant against free radicals.
It acts in conjunction with enzymes which convert sugars and fat into energy, in the form of the molecule ATP. This process occurs within the mitochondria, specialised structures found in all cells. Q10 is required by the body for the normal functioning of all tissues and those with the highest energy requirements (heart and muscles) are particularly reliant on an adequate supply.
If you have an adequate amount of Q10, you make energy at a more optimal rate, however if your levels are depleted, you cannot make energy at the optimum rate.
Although some Q10 is acquired from a normal diet, most is synthesised within the body. However, as we age the body’s ability to manufacture Q10 decreases. Natural levels of Q10 are also depleted by intense exercise, illness and certain types of prescription medicines such as statins.
A deficiency in Q10 can cause extreme physical and mental fatigue, leading to difficulty concentrating, energy slumps, mood changes and irritabilit. As a result many people choose to use a Quinone Q10 supplement.
Chosen by professional athletes
Athletes are constantly on the look out for legal ways to improve their performance. Muscle cells consume particularly large quantities of Q10 during physical activity and a shortage of Q10 may impair your muscle function.
Intense exercise and the natural ageing process reduces the bodies ability to produce Q10. Although it is possible to get some Q10 through food sources, research shows much higher doses are needed before a positive affect on athletic performance can be seen, therefore professional athletes use a Quinone Q10 supplement to ensure their endurance and energy levels are sustained.
Choosing the right supplement
The quality of a Q10 supplement is directly linked to its effectiveness; a Q10 supplement must contain the amount of Q10 stated on the product label and must be capable of maximum absorption by the consumer.
Bioavailability is defined as the proportion of an ingested substance that is absorbed from the digestive tract into the bloodstream. Bioavailability is critical to the efficacy of a Q10 supplement therefore it is always best to choose a supplement that has research affirming its bioavailability, such as the Kiesl-10 trial or Q-Symbio study.
1. Q10 is an essential part of cell and organ function therefore it controls the ageing process, the performance of the heart muscle, fertility, skin integrity, healing processes and more.
2. Unlike the temporary “kick” you get from caffeine or sugar, Q10 gives your body’s own energy production a lift at a cellular level.
3. Energy production is crucial to maintaining a healthy blood pressure, an effective immune system and a well-functioning heart, as well as supporting muscle strength as we age.
4. The heart is the hardest working muscle in your body and therefore requires the most energy. A drop in Q10 levels impairs heart power, but a supplement can help to reverse the process.
5. Q10 is a scientifically documented treatment in: chronic heart failure, hypertension, chronic fatigue syndrome, mitochondrial disorders and preventing the side effects of cholesterol-lowering statins.
6. Bio-Quinone Q10 Active is the reference product for the International Coenzyme Q10 Association
For more information visit q10.co.uk
Save over £11
when you subscribe today
Exclusive prizes from our Heaven Skincare, Senspa, Green People and more...