This delicious dessert from The Groovy Food Company is perfect for sharing with friends and family. And, not only is it vegan, but it’s also paleo and free from gluten, grains and refined sugar, so it should meet most people’s dietary requirements.
For the filling
- 6 apples – peeled, cored and cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 300g blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 ½ tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 100ml water
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- ½ vanilla pod, de-seeded
For the topping
- 160g pecans
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F, gas mark 5, 190°C (170°C if fan-assisted).
- For the filling, put the apples into a medium sized saucepan with 2 tbsp of the coconut sugar, the lemon juice, water and vanilla pod. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until the apples are tender enough for a fork to pass through, then turn off the heat and allow them to sit whilst you make the topping.
- Put the pecans and desiccated coconut into a food processor fitted with an S blade and blend until a crumbly mixture is formed. Then add the cinnamon, coconut sugar, coconut flour and sea salt and process again until all of the ingredients are combined. Finally, pour in the melted coconut oil and blend it into the mixture so that everything sticks together.
- Pour the liquid from the apples into a measuring jug and place the cooked fruit into a 9inch square baking dish with 100ml of the sauce. Sprinkle with a touch of cinnamon and the remaining ½ tbsp of coconut sugar then scatter the blackberries and crumble mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is lightly golden, then serve warm with banana ice-cream or coconut yoghurt.